By Charles Deemer
Drama in Deemer Country: Five Plays
- Country Northwestern: A ramblin’ man and a country superstar pay tribute to their home town before it’s flooded by a dam — and must face their painful history.
- Christmas at the Juniper Tavern: Eastern guru meets unemployed loggers in a tavern on Christmas day. Public television version won ACE award.
- Varmints: Blackmailers and double-crossers in the Oregon gold fields. ”Deemer’s comic ode to venality, double-dealing and all those other deadly vices that won the Wild West.”
- Waitresses: A mother tries to stop her daughter from repeating her own mistakes — with the same man. ”A three-way comedy-drama about ambition, love and the hard struggle to accept independence…”
- The Half-Life Conspiracy: An alcoholic writer and his gay ex-wife try to make their peace during the premier of his angry and revealing play. ”A two-hour political comedy that constantly engages the mind on its way to significant moments of the heart.”